HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dad always said I ain't right!
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 07:39 AM
drs1961
Fork Horn

Default RE: Dad always said I ain't right!

That's funny! Isn't it simply amazing how ingenious one can become when he has grabbed something with both handswhich he thenrealizes that he can't turn loose!! How boring would life be without stories like these to awe the youngsters coming up and to get a laugh out of the rest of us who have done similar antics and then are left licking our wounds and wondering if we have all of our sanity. I reckon I'llpostone for yall's enjoyment. My wife and I were riding through the woods one evening when we spotted two piglets rooting in an open oak flat. It was wide open and we didn't see a sow so I asked her if she would like for me to catch one for her to look at close up. She said sure so I proceded to do so. They were tiny, only about two pounds, so it was pretty easy to catch one. I wrapped my thumb and forefinger around it's snout to quieten down the squealing and carried it back to the truck all the while looking around for a sow. My wife was admiring the stripes and how little it was and remarked that it was too young to be out like that without protection from it's mama and if I could catch it that easy so could a predator. Then she asked if it could breathe alright with my grip on it's snout. It had calmed down completely and was relaxed in my arms so I released it's snout slowly.It just lay there as if it was tame. Then she asked me if it was a sow or a boar. I tipped it forward just a little to look and Holy Thunder and Lightning. It snapped it's head to the side and clamped down on my finger just behind the nail! It's teeth hit the bone!!! The impulse to try and throw it away never entered my mind. It HAD ME!!!! All I could do was go to the ground and turn it loose on it's feet. It backed away a foot or so with me in tow crawling, then turned loose of my finger, turned around and walked away unconcerned swishing its little tail around. My wife was howling in the truck as I got back up on my feet.Now we knew why wild hog populationsare spreading everywhere even in areas with lots of predators. That is one bad critter. My finger swelled to twice it's size over the next week and took a month to heal.