HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dad always said I ain't right!
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 06:11 PM
RLoving1
Nontypical Buck

Default Dad always said I ain't right!

Bear with me group.The proven hog hunters on here will think I lost my mind,some of them may laugh!Some background on my lack of intelligence...A few years ago while out dove hunting and shooting jack rabbits I ran across a badger rumbling across the pasture.Not wanting to blow him apart with a long range rifle or load him with bird shot I came up with my "plan B"! I figured my being bigger than him he will tuck tail and run! He did...so far plan works out great,now comes the not-so-bright part.I take chase on foot and jump on him! Then I remembered that sooner or later releasing him will be a issue! Things worked out ok that time believe it or not.Ok jumping to last summer...I work in the oilfield in rather desert climate,which is great for snakes...rattlersnakes to be specific.A friend called me to a valve box,which is a semi-buried vault containing isolation valves for gas,water,oil,or whatever,it's about5 foot deep with a hinged lid we close to keep dirt from filling it up.It's also a haven for rats which inturn draws snakes...the venomous type from above.The friend points into the open valve box and points out a 4 1/2 foot rattler...got to imagine there's not alot of room with all the equipment we cram into the box(5 ft deep x6ft long x 4ft wide).At this point of seeing the reptile I say lets catch him and jump in with him! This too turned out surprisingly good! Now here I am on Feb.1 2007,I do field work which is inspecting equipment away from the plant and along way from much of anything to do with humans! We see game regularly,massive muledeer and alot of hogs.Today I saw about 40 hogs rooting in the sand and watched where they were headed,I headed them off to see the ages and sizes.While I was waiting I found about 8 off alone,1 sow 6 half grown pigs and 1 piglet about 5 lbs.! I stalk them and they take flight...the piglet can't keep up with the group...so to get to the point I take off after the little straggler and catch him! I'm stuck with a sqeeling pig in sand,and one rather unhappy sow!Guess what I survived since I'm typing this and I did let him go after the sow and I came to a understanding.See Dad always said I ain't right...in the head!