HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - good first hunting rifle
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 11:46 PM
MichaelT.

Default RE: good first hunting rifle

sneed162,

I am not saying these asr your best choices, but I will only say that I have used several different rifles , and this is what I have found that I prefer. But it would help to know what all you plan on hunting with your new rifle, and where you live or plan to hunt toknow what the usual type of weather you will be using it in. I will try to give you a good overall picture.

I have found small short action guns to be the best of the best. They are easy to handle in tree stands and ladder stands. They also work exceptionally well in tower type stands. They are comfortable to carry for long periods of time when used for stalking, also.

This type includes: The Remington Model 7, Ruger M77 Compact, and Browning MicroHunter. There aree others, but these are the guns I love. I own a Model 7 , and the Ruger. I used to own the Browning , but the ex-wife got that one. All three are very dependable and accurate. You cannot go wrong with any of these three in a 7mm-08 or .308 caliber. The 7mm-08 is good for all deer out to 350 - 400 yards and elk out to about 300 or so. The .308 is good for all deer out to 400 - 450 yards, and elk out to about 350 - 400 yards, and moose at shorter ranges. If you are only hunting deer, you could even go with a .243 or a .260, if you are at all recoil conscious. But understand that there is not a big recoil difference between the .243 and the 7mm-08 and the .260 is in between those. There is also not much difference in the 7mm-08 and the .308, but it can depend on what bullet you decide to use. But a .308 with heavier bullets is not punishing by any means.

If you are hunting in a fairly wet / cold environment, I would suggest a Laminate / stainless gun, or a stainless / synthetic gun. You can most certainly use a wood / blued gun if you take care of your firearms.

If you prefer a full sized rifle, I would not hesitate to look at the Browning A-Bolt, Remington 700 BDL or CDL, Ruger M77, or even something in the Savage line. The Savage costs a little less, generally, but it is still a good gun. I own a Browning A-bolt Medallion in .270,and it is a fine rifle, that looks great too. I also own the Ruger in a stainless / Synthetic in .308. It is a tack driver. There are too many Remington 700 owners to say that it is not a good gun. You can get the long action caliber of your choice, or get them in the same short action calibers as stated above, with the smaller size guns.

If you perfer a semi-auto, I dont think you could go wrong with a Remington Model 7400 Carbine, synthetic / blued in 30.06. I have one and it is a fine gun.

If you are not at all recoil conscious, and you want the biggest and best kinda gun, you can find the winchester short magnum calibers, in the smaller profile guns like the browning Micro hunter or Remington Model 7 size. But truthfully, a magnum round in a small gun can be punishing.

If I had to point you to one line of guns out of all these mentioned, I would look at the Ruger line. They are usually a bit cheaper, and they are very dependable and accurate. I recently, last November bought the M77 Compact in a .243 in a stainless / Laminate for myself, and I got it at a really good price ( nogun shop or online sellerwas cheaper, then I found out that it can be ordered through a walmart store, if your walmart still sells guns, for about 40.00 cheaper. Anyway, It has put meat in the freezer now too.

I hope this helps you out some. I tried to cover all the bases, at least a little bit.

Good luck,

Micahel