HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What caliber @ 100 yds.
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 07:21 PM
drs1961
Fork Horn

Default RE: What caliber @ 100 yds.

Congratulations on coming to SC for hogs. We have plenty of em. I work at a hog hunting lodge and have seen hundreds of hogs taken with all weapons. All of your choices of weapons are sufficient for taking hogs. The main considerationsare the bullet construction and bullet placement. Heavy constructed bullets are your best choice. Think about how much you're spending on the hunt and ask yourself if it is worth the price ofone premium box of ammo. I've seen many hogs wounded and not recovered, especially huge trophy boars with that armored shield, because of the bullet not penetrating. I have seen the shield stop a .30 caliber soft point on impact with the only damage being broken ribs from the concussion! A large boar is undeniably the toughest game animal in North America. Sows and young boars don't have this plate and most deer ammo is sufficient for them. On bullet placement. If you are confident, the ear hole is the most effective shot. They do notrun away from that one. Other than that, aim forward and LOW. A hog's heart lies completely covered by it's front legs which contains heavy bonesthat require the aforementioned heavy built bullet to penetrate. It's lungs do not reach but just a few inches behind the front legs and are low. The spine of a hog drops down from the base of the skull to the level of it's jaw in it's neck before curving back up under it's shoulders. A hog with a 3 inch mane and 7 inches of muscle above it'svertebrae can beshot6 or more inches down onthe neck and not hit anything vital. Usually these hits will knock the hog down momentarily and then theit takes off not to be recovered. So if a neck shot is your preference, shoot below the halfway mark. Like dangerous game, if it is down but not out, put another round into it. Hogs are notorious for not leaving good blood trails, especially the wooly ones. Hope this helps and good luck on your hunt.