HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?
Old 01-13-2003, 12:44 PM
burniegoeasily
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

You have to look at it this way. They are not hunting yet. They are simply with mom/dad while mom/dad are hunting. Letting them take the shot is not hunting. It is simply letting them participate, nothing more than when my 4 or 5 year old real in a fish I hooked. I am agianst letting kids out in a blind by themselves until they have meet the standards held by the law. Also they need to understand the saftey and have demonstrated it to the parents before let out on their own. As for the demonstrating a respect for the animal. Its not teaching irresponsibility by not having them field dress or drag the animal, as long as they are involved in helping or learn as an infield lesson. Now if you let them run back to the cabin soon after with out them hanging around to experience all that the after shoot inteals, then it is a diservice to them. As for age, I think 5 thru 7 is a little young to responsible let them shoot on their own.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" Martin Luther King Jr.