HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Skittish lab pup
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2006, 05:32 PM
BlueRidgeRetrievers

Default RE: Skittish lab pup

ORIGINAL: farmchick

I have owned a lot a labs. We always had people on the farm, so never had one cower down to anyone. I have a lab now, had her for 11 years. My husband is very "hard handed"...so anytime my lab even here's his voice she cowers up and "tries" to bunch up as small as she can, but still goes up to him. I't actually pretty awful to watch. She is desparate for his approval. He beat her pretty bad and it's stuck with her. She will go up to any else without any hesitation at all. She still keeps the meek attitude, but very gentle. Sounds like she needs to build up some trust.
well, maybe you will, maybe you will not..let me know what you do when dog has ahold of your hand in his mouth ..

Do you see where she's mentioned that the dog bit anyone? I don't... I read where her husband ispretty "hardhanded" and "beat her pretty bad". Then she goes on to say "so anytime my lab even here's his voice she cowers up and "tries" to bunch up as small as she can, but still goes up to him. I't actually pretty awful to watch."

You telling me you condone that type of behavior? We are certainly different people you and I.

Also, you think I haven't been bitten owning beagles and hounds? Sure I popped them on the head to release my hand or whatever they took to latching onto; BUT, I've never beaten a dog to the point it was cowering around me. I never will.

I won't even comment on you yelling at your wifeto the point your dogs are cowering under the table. Weobviously lead different lives andlifestyles.

Beating a dog is nothing more than weakness, as stated before this posting. It's a reaction of a person with a small mind that empowers himself by taking out aggression on something smaller than him (or herself).

I'll state again, I have never and will never beat an animal to the point that it cowers in my presence. Nor will I condone the beating of animals in any way shape or form.

Just an FYI, I have been training dogs since I was old enough to stand beside my father (who also had been training dogs since James Lamb Free's FIRST EDITION book came out). Nobody trains a dog with "Nice little kisses" as you said but you don't beat them until they shut down either. Anyone that thinks that is the way you train or correct a dog is a fool.