HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??
Old 12-22-2006, 08:55 PM
C-WOODS-SHOOT
Fork Horn

Default RE: Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Arthur P, I like that bowling ball, ping pong ball comparison.
I don't, actually. There's too big a difference between the two. Bowling balls are weighed in POUNDS, ping pong balls are weighed in......Hell, I don't know what they're weighed in.

There just isn't much weight difference between 400 and 500 grains...Enough to change things? Certainly. As much as a bowling ball and ping pong ball? No way. I understand the point though, but there's just too big a difference for it to be relevant. We're only talking totals of like 2-5 foot pounds of KE here.......I'm still going w/ lighter/faster.
The bowling ball/ ping pong ball quote is mine. It was a gross exageration to show a point. If you keep the velocity the same for the 400 gr arrow and the 500 gr arrow, the difference is big.... not irrelevant. Both arrows @275 fps, 400 gr. = 67 ft-lbs KE and the 500 gr arrow =83 ft-lbs KE. For a difference of 16 ft-lbs KE. The momentum of the heavy arrow (bowling ball) will carry it through the target easier than the light arrow (ping pong ball). Even though I can't explain why, I believe that even with both arrows being the same KE, The heavier arrow will carry through the target easier than the lighter arrow. Due to other characteristics, momentum, stiffness to name a couple. BTW, 65 ft-lbs should blast through a deer, 70 would work even better etc. Everyone can choose a KE that will work for them by tweaking their arrow weight and speed. It is usually better to error on the heavy side. I learned from my mistake.... I've shot through the thin part of the shoulder blade with a slower, heavier arrow and not penetrated with a lighter faster one. With the chance of an off hit, the heavy one wins more than the light one.
Sorry about that GregH, I read alot of posts after reading yours.