HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Outside dog
Thread: Outside dog
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 11:32 AM
cascadedad

Default RE: Outside dog

ORIGINAL: AlaskaMagnum

I agree that a dog can be kept outoors and be happy. However, no dog can be kept outdoors and FORGOTTEN most of the day and be kept happy!

I like my dogs in the house. I think it makes for a calmer, more mentally stable, animal. Dogs left alone all day in a kennel tend to get a little on the neurotic side.They are pack animals, and I believe it is kinda unfair to keep one all by itslef for 20 hours out of the day.

Along those lines, if you give the dog proper shelter, exercise, and training, get whatever breed you like.
I agree with AM. When I first got my lab 6 years ago, she was an outside (kennel) dog. I was not able to be there all day to potty train, etc. and I did not want to have problems with the dog, which would then cause problems with my wife, if you know what I mean.

BUT, I took her to the park or the river EVERY SINGLE DAY for exercise and time spent with her. I worked with her almost every day on basic obedience commands and then on other commands I wanted to use for hunting.

My wife did not like the dog being "Locked up in the kennel", it was cruel. But after training, when I put Abby in the back yard, she would go right in the kennel and lay down. That was HER SPACE.

She hasn't seen kennel time in several years now, but I am sure she would have no problem with it. She is a house dog now and just goes outside to do her business and she stayes in the back yard when we are not home.

I don't think it matters which breed as long as they get what they need, they will be happy.