HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shot the White Today with New Stock
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Pglasgow
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot the White Today with New Stock

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Pglasgow

You don't want to know it will start a big discussion again... I use it in a special way - most people hate it, but TC has brought out a new product that even makes it easier to use, they now have a product called T17 patches....

bore butter
Shhhsshhh! Some one will hear you!

Now that you mention it. Once I get my inline situation completely lined out. I want to add a couple more traditionals. There's a .54 (or maybe .58, can't decide)full stock hawken kit in RB twist at TOW that I am dying to purchase, don't know when I can afford to, but oh its beautiful. I thought I would pre-season the bore before shooting it, (after browning). My idea was to get my a gallon of lard and heat in in my portable fish fryer out on the back porch. Push a patch to the bottom of the bore and brace the barrel muzzle side up in a jig of some sort to prevent it falling. Then I would ladle, (through a small metal funnel) 450 F lard into the bore. I'd just keep the lard hot. when the barrel begin to cool, use leather welding gloves to grip the barrel and dump contents back into the oiland then refill it. The Idea I have would be elevate the temperature of the barrel close to 450 F. every so often replacing the contents in order to keep the temp of the oil seasoning the bore, elevated. Might do this for a couple of hour hoping to get the lard deep in the pores of the metal.

Is this a crazy idea? Or might it work?