HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 777 FFG vs FFFG vs Pellets
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 02:19 PM
StickChuckin

Default 777 FFG vs FFFG vs Pellets

Newb questions.

I'm trying to decide whether to switch from 777 pellets (I'm shooting 100gr 777 with 250gr shockwaves. I've read repeatedly on this board that the loose powder is cheaper and allows for more flexible loads. First question - how many 100gr shots do you get out of 1 pound of powder? I know 7000gr = 1 lb (weight for weight) but I'm assuming that this is a volume issue. I have no idea how much volume a 100gr load is or how much volume for1 lb can of powder. I also understand that 100gr of black powder is about = to 85 gr of 777. What about 777 pellet vs. 777 powder. Does 100gr of pellets = 100 gr of loose powder???

Second is there a practical difference between ffg and fffg for 777? I know fff is a finer powder. Is it so fine that it will trickle through the breach plug when seating the bullet? (i've never seen the loose powder - have no idea about grain size).

Finally, anything that I need to know when loading? The pellets sit on the outside of the breech plug leaving the concave area of the breech plug empty of powder (I'm shooting an omega). With the loose powder, that space would get filled in. Do I just seat the sabot "firmly"?

Thanks for all the help. I've bow hunted for 14 years. This is the first time I've ever hunted with something that goes "bang".