HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Non-residents hunting Federal Public land??
Old 12-16-2006, 05:13 PM
hardcorehunter
Banned

Default RE: Non-residents hunting Federal Public land??

ORIGINAL: EKM

".... how well would the CO elk herd do without my federal tax payed land to live on?"
Unlike your white tail deer that live and die within a 5 mile radius, the elk herds range over wide areas of private, local, state, BLM, USF, and Wilderness lands in the course of a year.... so not as clear cut as you might prefer. In answer to your question, I think the elk herds would and are doing just fine without your tax dollars....

Over the course of the past 15 years the USFS has had its budget cut time and again and now what little money they have is going towards firre suppression and or fire management most the discretionary revenue they have comes in the form of special use permit feesfrom folks like.... outfitters.

On the other hand, small groups like you and I sashay in and out without paying anything.... so I don't think your federal tax dollars really count for much at all in this scenario.... the elk were doing just great before the government got here....

just be thankful for the freebee access. I am.
================================================== ==

You gonna put in for permits or try to "reform" the system?
Hunted in CO last year and headed back next year; selfguided again. No need to put in for permits; I only hunt big game with a bow. We buy the tags over the counter the day we arrive in town.Good luck to you. As far as the freebee access; federal taxes do pay for the land. I am thankful though that the anti's haven't been successsful at banning hunting like they would like to on federal land.