HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - @@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics
Old 12-15-2006, 07:24 AM
Hunter John

Default RE: Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

Hank - Good suggestions for improving the PB. However, as others have pointed out to me, one of the reasons for the PB having such soft lead is to improve accuracy. If you've ever seen a picture of a recovered lead PB, you'll notice the disting rifling marks on it. The rifling marks are usually very well defined and deep...this it where the PB gets its accuracy from. Others have speculated that the lead is so soft that upon firing, the lead actually operates along the plastic base.

If CVA was to increase the hardness of the PB lead, although improving the terminal performance of the bullet and lessening the chance of complete bullet dissentigration upon impact , my guess is that they lose their accuracy a bit.

I do like your idea about shrinking the size of the hollow point and putting some real copper plating on it and perhaps bonding it to the lead to prevent separation. The copper "paint" they use today is a joke IMO.

Anyway, very good ideas are blossoming here (and some real educational pics Lane)...someone should send a copy of this thread to CVA.