HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - T/C ShockWave Sabots 200gr. vs. 250gr.
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 07:27 PM
ahankster

Default RE: T/C ShockWave Sabots 200gr. vs. 250gr.

Well,
My experience with them probably really isn't indicative as to their potential.

Last year after the season was over and during the wallyworld closeouts, I picked up a box of the 200s planning to give them a try. I have had excellent results from the 250s and thought the 200s would really give me another 50 yards ballistically. I was hoping to develop a load similar to the ballistics with my 250 grainers and 110 grains of 777. Was figuring that I might be able to get a load that would be a couple of inches high at 150 and 7 inches or so low at 250. I still think it is possible.

About a month before the season, I shot maybe 6 or 7 200 grain sabotsthrough my Encore with 125 grains of loose 777. Accuracy was not what I expected at 100 yards so I didn't really play with it anymore. Loose 4 to 5 inch groups at 100 yards. I suspect I was driving them too hard, could have been due to the warm weather as well. Anyway, I took them home and put them in the closet thinking I would play with them again later. Next time I went to the range, I shot a string with my normal 250 grain shockwaves with the 125 grain load. While the results were better, they still weren't where I had been for the past couple of years with 110 grains of 777 loose, an inch to an inch and a half or so groups at 100 yards. So, I figured that 125 grains of 777 might just be too much and would have to start back at my base load that is tried and true.

That said, both these shooting sessions were in September and October which can be downright warm in Mississippi, usually in the high 70s and 80s. Not exactly optimal for testing w/ sabots and BP subs.

Then, season started and I haven't had the time to play with the 200s again. I do have them in my truck though and maybe one day this week at lunch I'll shoot a string with 110 grains of 777 and see what it gives.

Someone else and some other gun may have had much better luck than me.

Hank