HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Learn to Breed Dogs
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 05:35 AM
Bruce H
Fork Horn

Default RE: Learn to Breed Dogs

SWOSUMike: I agree with you, there are a number of things on that site that are a bit over the top. For example, I would venture to say there isn't a breeder in this country that breeds only champions and I don't know of anyone that has a lifetime guarantee on puppies. However the majority of it is good information that revolves around responsible breeding.

Everyone: If it sounds intimidating or overly cautious, I think it's meant to be that way. There are just too many people that go into breeding without a clue about health issues, lines, etc., etc. Or they think they are going to make some money. When things go good, it's great, but when things don't go so good, it's really tough. I think the hope is that it will make people think twice about breeding.

My opinion about getting into breeding is that you should hook up with a responsible breeder. Read everything you can about breeding, especially the breed-specific books (you should see our library of books and videotapes; it's almost scary!). Go to the classes that are offered in so many places on dogs and breeding. That's what my wife and I did and we are now helping two other people who are interested in breeding.

Yes, this is a free country. Everyone has the right to breed their dog if they want to. And yes, I do tend to get a little excited about responsible breeding, especially after getting involved in rescue a while back. So I'll try to calm down a bit now and just let this go.