HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Learn to Breed Dogs
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 02:49 AM
Mite
Typical Buck

Default RE: Learn to Breed Dogs

Swosumike
I think the website is used as a guide. Basically, its saying only breed if you have the money andhave a dog worthy of breeding. But the most important thing is betterment of breed in question. I see it like this.

1. Is your dog worthy to breed? How does the dog stack up with other dogs?

2. Are you willing to pay for breeding? Breeding pen, vet bills, etc.

3. Are you willing to test your dog before breeding? Guarentees?

4. What of the clients? How will they treat the pups?

And more importantly, will you be able to sell the pups?

I own a Llewellin setter. In my area, the dogs are very rare. She has a strong bird desire and natural pointer. I spent for air fare to ship her from MN to Seattle. My vet said I should breed her (he would do all the testing). My sis already had a couple of puppies sold. I also metother hunterswho were very interested in pups. If I did breed her, I would have to ship her east to find a suitable stud. Two puppies sold would pay for welping costs and airfare. But after thinking about it, I decided all the hassle wasn't worth it. If I wanted another dog, I know where to go. So, she got SPAYED.

The decision was because I didn't truely know what I wanted in dog. Range, style, intensity I know but temperment, conformity, etc. are not my strong suit. There are better people out there who have the resources, time and vision to produce better dogs than I. I would perfer to leave it up to them.