HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Learn to Breed Dogs
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 04:50 AM
Bruce H
Fork Horn

Default Learn to Breed Dogs

Well, the last couple weeks a few of us have been a little rough on some people that were breeding dogs. Maybe a little too rough; but our goal was to make people understand the responsibilities that should go with breeding. That a lot of thought, testing, research, etc. should go into the decision. And think about not just the breeding and raising of the pups and the health of the mom, but what happens after the pups are placed in new homes. For example, does your state have a puppy lemon law? Ours does. What do you do if a puppy comes back to you with a congenital defect?

Rather than me writing a book on responsible breeding on this forum,there's an excellent site that was put together by Jane Anderson called "Learn to Breed Dogs" at http://www.learntobreed.com It's a great site for anyone thinking about breeding and asks a lot of questions that we, as breeders, have to answer every day. And even if you aren't interested in breeding, it's great reading.

As rescue coordinators for Minnesota for our breed (with 2 rescues in our home right now), my wife and I are very interested in responsible breeding. We have seen the results of the puppymillers and occaisionally the BYB's and it ain't nice. So, please, before you decide to breed your girl, give it some serious thought.

OK, off my soapbox now.