HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tons of questions...
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 02:53 AM
Mite
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tons of questions...

May I ask how did your weim become so shy? Just curious.

I would suggest you pickup a good program. NAVHDA bluebook I heard good things about for versatiles. Delmar Smith's book is also good for starters.

As to the little stuff, there are a few things most books wont tell you. Get a hold of someone who has been around hunting dogs. You'll learn alot from them. I'm assuming you already know about the puppy stuff like socialization, correction, etc. If you don't, you need to ask.

Alot ofthings can be done when you first get a puppy. Simple stuff like a toy, checkchord during playtimewill lead into fetch training. Using the leash properly will lead into woah and heel. You don't want to do actual training until the dog is mature enough to understand, ie. absolutely no pressure.

When you start, only 5 mins of training daily at around 3 months of age. Bird expose should be around this time. Slowly increase training until about 10-15 min daily at age 6-9 months. Sometimes you also need to slack off on training. At around the same time, that's when you start introducing the gun. You will use the same commands in the field as in the yard. Field training is actually the hardest part. This is where everyone, except REAL trainers, usually slack off, (I'm terribly guilty also). But that wont happen until after bird and gun exposure.