HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which to Buy?
Thread: Which to Buy?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2002, 10:07 PM
DeerSniper

Default Which to Buy?

Yes, I am posting this in several forums here and across the net. Sorry, if you have read it 3 or 4 times already.

Ok everyone, I am kinda in a pickle here and need some information. I am gonna be buying a new rifle in a couple of weeks and I have still to decide which. I know little of the specifics and/or reputation of either of the rifles as I have never shot or owned either. I will tell what I do know of each rifle and would very much appreciate any info I can get from you all.

1) Savage Model 10FP .308 rifle
The heavy precision barrel features a recessed target-style crown
Heavy Free-floating and button-rifled 24" barrel
Synthetic stock with positive checkering, dual pillar bedding
Four round internal box magazine

2) Howa M1500 Varmint .308 rifle
For heavy barrel precision hunting and pest control
5+1 in Chamber (drop mag) [a real plus for what I want]
24" barrel and synthetic stock
1-12" twist

I know that you can kinda see what I am looking for. Durability and accuracy at long ranges. Now which of these rifles do you think will do me the best job? Price is no problem as I will pay the same price for either rifle. Even if you can just point me to a place where I might gather more info on one or both, that would be awesome. I want to know as much as I can before making this purchase.
One more question, though. I have all but decided to get the Savage (mainly cause of their great reputation for accuracy). I know to most of you, this will sound petty, but it really does make a difference to me. One of the things that I really dont like about the Savage is that it has the interior mag instead of the drop mag. If I do get this one, is there anyway that I can have a gunsmith modify this for me or you think I could find another stock for it that has this feature without having to pay an arm and a leg for it? Other than this and the brand name, I dont know of much difference between the two rifles.

Thanx for your help!

One Shot, One Kill
Hunting is the one sport where, if you are playing right, the other team doesn't even know you're playing.