HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - best time to start a food plot?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 07:29 PM
wabashbowhunt
Fork Horn

Default best time to start a food plot?

When do u guys start your new food plots? I own 13 acres of land 10 of it is just fields and the other 3 woods. the land is used for our oil company and our drilling rigs and other stuff is stacked up there along with a couple pumping oil wells and etc. i hunt the 3 acre woods where i have killed 3 deer this year and they dont seem to mind the noise or the fact of us being there all day long. it seems like they know when we will be gone and come out then. i have permission to hunt about 10 acres touching our property also. there is a 1 small pond in the far north part of the woods and a new 5 acre pond on the property northeast of me. I guess my question is i can plant a food plot on a section of the 10 acres but all my drilling stuff will be close to it. do you think this will be fine or should i designate a corner of the field and make a smaller plot? i think there is sufficent food in the area beings i am completly currounded by bean and corn fields and have a small acorn patch and a couple persimmon trees. when would the best time to work the ground and plant be?