HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - does anyone use back tension release ?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 07:13 PM
98Redline
Typical Buck

Default RE: does anyone use back tension release ?

If you are serious about becoming a better archer, then a BT release is the way to go.

User properly, a BT release will cause you to shoot without anticipating the shot or punching the trigger. It is not that just about any release can be shot with BT, however using a true BT release you will tend to learn what a correct release feels like and be able to apply that technique to any other release.

One word of warning about BT. It is a tough row to hoe. Learning to shoot one correctly takes time, practice and dedication. Things will get worse......alot worse before getting better, however when you get things down, you fill find that your are significantly more accurate than you were before introducing BT into your life.

Getting started with BT, there are a ton of good releases out there. I would recomend that you take a look at a Zenith. They make a kit for the BT beginner. It comes with a release as well as a DVD or video that shows you how to properly draw and shoot a BT release without punching yourself in the mouth.

While there are a number of BT releases out there that tout a saftey, in my experience a traditional or "true BT" release is the best way to keep yourself from getting hit in the mouth. Once you learn the proper way to draw and let down, a true BT release will never accidentally fire on you. At one time or another, I have owned about 10 BT releases, some with safteys, some without. One thing all of the safety releases have in common.....At one time or another, I punched myself in the mouth with all of them. However the same has NEVER happened with a true BT release.

As for hunting with one, there are some that do, however I think that a true BT release is better suited on the target range than the deer woods. Use your BT release just about all of the time when practicing. Just before the season starts, switch to your regular hunting release and get dialed in. The techniques you learned from shooting the BT release will carry you through the hunting season.