HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .358 Winchester Any experience?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 02:39 PM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .38 Winchester Any experience?

ORIGINAL: cybersniper

Thanks for the advice. I'm planning to use this rifle for Wisconsin whitetail. Right now I use a 30-06 with 165grn sierra game kings. It works great, I just wanted to use the ol .358.

For Whitetail would you guys suggest the 200 over the 250? I hunt in realitively thick cover with no shots over 150 yards.

Thanks
\

Yes, I used to use the 200-grain on deer. I used the old Hornady 200-grain spire point. This bullet may have been a little on the tough side, for it ALWAYS went through, and gave a tremendous blood trail. Even though the deer did not always drop on the spot, I never had any trouble finding them!

Although a little on the OVERKILL side for most deer shooting, the .358 is an excellentcartridge for all bigger North American game. In addition, it is MORE than a mere short-range cartridge, way betterthan the .35 Remington!

My favorite load is with the Speer 250-grain spitzer and 51.5 grains of WW748 powder. In my 20" barrled Browning BLR, this load shot under 1" @ 100 yards (three shots), and gave 2420 FPS @ 10' from the muzzle. With Nosler now making Partition Jacket bullets in .358, those would now be my choice. (I haven't used this cartridge since Nosler began making .35 caliber bullets.All nay-sayers, note that this load is 2.5 grains LESS than Ken Waters' maximum for this bullet, published in Handloader Mag. years ago. Of course, his loads were worked up in a Mannlicher Schoenauer.)