HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .270 too light for elk?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 10:41 AM
rather_be_huntin
Typical Buck

Default RE: .270 too light for elk?

ORIGINAL: MO-KS_hunter

As for a response to Brutalattack's response, the only reason I asked is because I've read (yes I do read books on the subject as you so eloquently told me to do) that the .270 win is right on the hairy edge of what should be considered an adequate caliber for elk.
The problem is MO-KS_hunter is that the guys that have had negative experiences or that do think the .270 is too light for elk won't respond to this post. We've been driven into the "closet" on the subject because the other side of the argument REFUSE to listen to anything at all negative about the .270. I am in the same boat. For example everyone talks about shot placement. That's all fine and dandy but NOBODY can have perfect shot placement every time.....butsee even I'm gun shy to go on about it.

The .270 fans will say they've killed 100 elk and never had one go more than a few feet. If that sounds great to you then go for it. If that sounds a bit fishy then usually where there's smoke theres fire.

There are a lot of guys that would answer your question yes. But they won't reply to your post due to all the bickering and mud slinging over the issue. I suppose that doesn't surprise me though. Most hunters are very strong minded individuals. I don't know why it's just the cloth we are cut from.

The funny thing is if there were two or three proven reports of seat belts in Chevy trucks failing (in circumstances where theycertainly should not fail)and a few children had died, every person on this board would quit buying Chevy's. But even with a bunch of stories and experiences people continue to use .270's and when the subject comes up it just get's ugly.

My point is you are only going to get one opinion on this board cause we are flat out sick and tired of battling about it. The pro .270's are obviously much more hard headed than the not so favorable of the .270's for elk because we have been beat down into silence. We have our opinions but now days keep them to ourselves. Not because we lost the argument, but at least on this subject, we have decided that only a fool argues with a fool so we just let it go. And yes a very wise and intelligent person can be a fool about one particular subject.

If you want to hear ALL opinions then you'll have to do some searches.