HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 12 gauge slug
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006, 06:14 PM
zak123

Default 12 gauge slug

I decided to take my Mossberg 500 out for gun season this year, instead of using my bow for the full season. I bought a few pack of rifled2 3/4"12 gauge hollow point slugs. They are made by Winchester and weigh 1 ounce, shooting 1,600 fps. I have never hunted deer with a gun, and had a few questions about gun hunting.

I can consistently put every shot into a three inchcircle at thirty five yards.I will be shooting a max of thrity five yards. The "problem" is, after shooting a few times into the target, I noticed that they leave a massive hole. The deer here are relatively small, weighing 110-150 lbs. Would using these massive slugs be suitable for deer hunting?

If so, I have two chokes. One is an improved cylinder, the other, a full. I did a little research before shooting, and was informed that the improved cylinder was the way to go. I know that a slug is one solid mass of lead, so would there be any benefit to using the full choke? It would stabilize it more than an improved cylinder, would it not? Would it destroy my barrel?

Thanks for bearing with me. Any advice is appreciated.