HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - had my first major injury on annual elk hunt.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:23 PM
elkslayer338

Default RE: had my first major injury on annual elk hunt.

Yep thats right I remember when there were no phones on the mountain to.
It was during that time that I came across a hunter who had suffered a major hart attack he was some 5 miles from the trail head and unconscious
when I road up on him thought he was dead. his skin was purple and he had shallow breathing now the reason i was on the trail to get thelast load for campwhile the rest of the guy,s set up wall tent. It took them3 hours to ride out to see if i had a horse wreck or something. Meanwhile I had to administer CPR to the hunter and witness another attack. When
the guy's got there I ran down the rocky trail to a Friends ranch and called 911. elapsed time from the point I found him to the point he was extracted by helicopter 8 hours.For your information he made it and is still alive today up in Canada. So it ended on a positive. but if I had a cell phone or radio I could have climbed up to the top and gotten a signal and cut that time to three hours.
after that I always have my cell phone with booster,and my CB handheld Rhino gps. note in camp for the first time in 36 years were able to call out
threw the use mega antenna booster that we pulled to the top of a big spruce plus we have twocustom soler panelshooked into a motorcycle battery to supply all are equipment with power for recharging.
now the cell phone came in handy on a trip to Wyoming about eight years ago when on a mule deer hunt we spotted the beginnings of a forest fire and by are callthey were able to put it out by the next day.
now I could have called in a rescue at camp whenI cut my knee but it would havecost me 5,000and I had it under control.