HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Loopset pliers
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2006, 05:32 PM
AllenRead

Default RE: Loopset pliers

I have a pair and they work pretty well, but:

You will still need a pair of needle nose plyers to do two things:

1) To start the tightnening of the loop - if you cut your loop rope short enough for the loopset plyers to do a good job of tightening, then theuntightened loop will be too small for the loopset plyers to fit into the loop. The two pieces of the loopset's jaws that fit into the loop are much larger than a needle nose and you have to start the tightening with needle nose or something similar.
2) To loosen the loop.

Also, I don't get as tight a D loop with the loopset plyers as I can withmy big needle nose plyers. Len showed me how to do it several years ago and the needle nose plyers can give you a tighter loop.

One of the claims of the loopset plyers is that you get the same length of loop every time. You do, but you can also do it with needle nose plyers by simply starting with the same length of rope every time.

The loopset plyers arenot useful if you want to set up your loop with a brass or served nock pointeither inside orabove theD loop. There is no adjustment inhowfar apart theknots are.

The loopsets are handy, but you will still need a set of needle nose plyers. In fact, the loopset plyers have given mea couple of ideas on how a pair of needle nose plyers could be modified to do a much better job.

I'll keep mine & use them, but they are not everything that I'd hoped they would be.