HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 150 grains of 777 in an CVA Optima Pro .45?
Old 11-17-2006, 09:09 PM
jessef

Default RE: 150 grains of 777 in an CVA Optima Pro .45?

Ok, thanks for the replies. The articles did give a little more information, but their was really no specifics on the pressure 777 gave compared to the other brands (not that I noticed). There are obviously a few more highly publicized incidents with older CVA's, but I didn't see any recent ones. The fluted barrel I have seems ok to me, but I am not that knowledgeable of their tolerances.

The kick is minimal on that load. I am telling you it shoots in between my .270 and 30-06. I have spent a day shooting it and wasn't sore, but other than shooting skeet all day, I have never really been sore from shooting the guns I own. I do agree it may be a little overkill, but I hunt borders of properties, and I really don't want the deer running that far (sorry to all you diehards, but most of us don't want to track it that far). They don't if you go through both lungs. I have had a .50 traditions that I was shooting and had problems taking down deer with 100 grains of pyrodex and 295 grain bullet.

I am out of my current supply of powder, but still have the bullets. What are your thoughts on moving to 4 of the 30 grain pellets or going back to 3 of the 50 grain pellets of the regular pyrodex?

I see there are a lot of "power belt" haters out there (not just here, and obviously this Randy fella that wrote those articles). What bullet would be recommended that is in between? Remember I am shooting a .45 caliber BP.

I am not impervious to change, however, it has worked so far...As most are, I am extremely cautious. The aspect of gunpowder being un-contained makes me nervous.

Thx