HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hindsight
Thread: Hindsight
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2006, 06:48 AM
ahankster

Default RE: Hindsight

Hey,
I had used a Browning w/ a Copper John 3 pin sight for my first three years in archery. It served my well and I got fairly proficient with it. Finally, the time came to get a newbow and I wanted to get cutting edge "stuff". So, I bought a Mathews Switchback XT and set it up w/ a Hindsight which my dealer recommended. His pitch was that you could shoot later because the sight did not block your target when it got late.

So, I take my new bow home and start practicing. Initially, I liked the sight. I was shooting tighter groups than with the old bow, but I didn't know if it was the sight, the bow or me. Actually killed one deer with it. But, over time I realized that because of the distance from the rear sight to the eye, a person really had to have good form and not torque the bow or you would tend to shoot left or right. I also had a couple of shots later in the day that when I drew, I felt that too much of the target was obscured. the other weird thing was that I had it set up like the instructions say, x on the middle pin. I found that I shot great groups at 20 yards, ok groups at 30 yards (middle pin) and that the goups tightend up again at 40 yards. It was like the x tended to mess w/ the target picture a bit for me.

So, I took it off and had my shop put a good peep sight in. Now, the groups have shrunk even more. I use a Sword Twilight hunter w/ .19 pins and a good peep and can hit a 5 inch circle with it at 50 yards all day long. Inside that it just gets better, golf balls at 20, tennis balls at 30 and softballs at 40 yards. I couldn't have done that w/ the hindsight.

Hope it works better for you.
Good luck
Hank