HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why aren't there more Black hunters?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 10:08 PM
VaSavage270
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why aren't there more Black hunters?

Well, well quite an interesting topical conversation to say the least. I will make a brief comment to the topic at hand hopefully without becoming glib.

I’ve been hunting for 32 years as an African American, BlackHunter choose your poison of distinguishing my nationality. First and foremost I’m an American male who has served his country of my own free will and accord.

I thank the almighty for having an uncle who loved the outdoors, even though he was predominately a rabbit hunter. And as a city boy being raised in New York City he took it upon himself to introduce me to the second love of my life today. As I grew older I ventured further into the art of hunting and learning its various ways. I tell my wife each year there’s hunting, fishing then you and of course as the season changes so does the sport fishing, hunting then her. Well we are still together after 19 years go figure.

It wasn’t until 1990 when I had the opportunity to pick up a bow or even attempt to deer hunt. My neighbor Chris was shooting his bow one day and asked if I ever shot one, of course my response was no. I watched him for a few minutes after he asked if I wanted to attempt such, well I hit the target three out of four times in the kill zone he was ecstatic. I quickly had to get myself a bow and I thank Chris ever chance I get. There are always good people regardless of the stereotyping. I’ve hunted many places even being the only African American, Black Hunter etc at camp. The amazing thing is they all knew that but invited me every year for it’s an act of brotherhood on our part!

Today I hunt with quite a few from this site that has know me quite a while now and I never feel uncomfortable around them. And to the question of AA are not in the country is fallacious to say the least many were raised in the country to some extent and have moved on. Society has it’s way of dictating things I rather call it “Behavioral Modification” I’m not of the country but I love it’s way of life. I will do my part to introduce as many people possible regardless the complexion of their skin. What truly hurts the sport is that of ourselves, when we attempt to determine or justify what is ethical when it comes to how one may harvest his or her trophy. Just because one chooses their means runs dogs, verses that who still hunts make neither truly justified to those who don’t hunt keep that in mind.