HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why aren't there more Black hunters?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 08:07 PM
ButchA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why aren't there more Black hunters?

ORIGINAL: Branson
A lot of people think of hunters as dumb, rednecks with missing front teeth and a 3rd grade education.
Bingo... That says it all, right there. That's why I do my part in the corporate world to get rid of the negative fallacy on hunters. You know what I'm talking about: Shirt, tie, dress pants, powerpoint presentations, meetings, endless drinking of coffee, etc... And the funny part is that my office knows that I dress up in camo on weekends andI go hunting. I have tried talking to a few black friends at work about going to hunter education and getting a license so they can join me, but they say "No thanks". They are afraid of meeting up with some good ol' boys who, for some reason might still be stuck back in the50's and early 60's segregation. [:'(] One of my best friends is black (I mean, we can talk about anything and notcause bad feelings). We joke about race and stuff, and have no problems. He did crack a joke saying stuff like, "A black man doesn't look good in camo". And, something hilarious like, "Does that Mossy Oak stuff come in leather and have a clock on the front, so I could look like Flavor Flav and go hunting too?"

You see what I am getting at? There is still that misconception about hunting/hunters, where 97% of hunters are white, listen to country music, and have a rebel flag somewhere on your jacked up pickup truck.

It doesn't bother me, if you are the color purple and have orange polka dots... You want to go hunting? Cool.... let's go.

Butch A.