HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why aren't there more Black hunters?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 07:35 PM
mossy33oak
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why aren't there more Black hunters?

Ok, I have some experience with this and I notice none of the things Ive encountered have been mentioned so here it goes. I work in the suburbs of Baltimore and the work force is 60-40 predominatly black. Well all of my friends at work are black and one in particular is probably my best friend. I have offered to take him hunting and his main reply is "If you think Im going out in the woods in the dark you are crazy"! Keep in mind he is 6' 5" 330 lbs and he is deathly affraid of the dark, he grew up in Park Heights (really bad neighborhood) and can shoot a rifle as good as anyone but he hates the thought of the woods at dark. The other reason is as mentioned above the chance encounter of a run in with some people who dont particulaly care for blacks. I tell him that he is crazy and that I would have his back but his answer is "yeah but you are white and they probably wouldnt kill you". I think if I would slowly ween him into maybe an afternoon hunt that we would leave before dark he might enjoy it. Who knows maybe an afternoon squirrell hunting trip might be the answer.