HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - my luck has finally changed, nice buck down.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:32 AM
bowtech die hard
Nontypical Buck

Default my luck has finally changed, nice buck down.

Well I can finally quit complaining about my luck. I took a nice 130" 8 yesterday morning.

Here is the story, and before I tell it I just want to say one thing. If you're gonna post back and tell me i'm an idiot for taking this shot, don't bother.

I had sat all morning seeing deer everywhere, bucks chasing does like crazy (mainly small bucks). I had saw one doe work down this fence line behind me and jump the fence and bed down about 250 yds from me. My buddy I was hunting with was sitting about 80 yds directly across the ditch from me and decided to get down to go look for a nice buck our one buddy shot at the night before. So we get down.

We decide to work down the ditch (when I say ditch, it's 40' down and about 65 yds wide in total). So we decide to ease really slow down the ditch. As we're working our way down very carefully I see a deer in the ditch. My buddy shane is right beside me and spies it with his range finder. He's a nice 8. Shooter buck for the property (especially since i'm hunting on someone else's property). Well he walks straight to the south and up the ditch at about 80 yds and out of sight. We decide to move up about fifty yards thinking we might be able to rattle him back in. Well as we're moving up a doe busts out to our left and heads across a picked beanfield. I tell shane we better be ready cause he might come back. Sure enough here he comes. He crosses the ditch and I stop him with a grunt and come to full draw so I'm ready to take a shot when he get's within range. Well when I grunt he stops and turns, and walks right at us. I'm at full draw and out in the open of this cleared out ditch with shane sitting right next to me. I'm kneeling waiting for him to close the distance. Shane is one the range finder and he says: " he's at 75,...ok now he's 68,....ok 65.....alright now 62 (at this point the buck stops quartering to me) then Shane says "oh $hiT my battery is dead. I had a fifty yard pin and I held on the top of his neck. Shane says if you can make the shot take it. I let it fly at 62 yards. Arrow entered right in front of the shoulder blade blew out both lungs. Deer ran 54 yards and piled up in the middle of a picked bean field.

I know what the lecture will be on this thread. How could you take that shot, that's unethical, blah blah. I knew I could take the shot though, I knew I could make the shot, and I practiced for situations like this all year. I put it right where it needed to be for one of the quickest cleanest kills I've ever had with a bow. I'm glad as hell I took that shot and I"d do it again in a heartbeat. The thing is you just have to have confidence in what you're doing and know you can do it. Just thought I'd let y'all know.