HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Losing my desire to hunt
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 04:48 PM
BrutalAttack
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Losing my desire to hunt

ORIGINAL: muley69

I live in the rockies and moved here to basically hunt. Starting last year, I just didn't really have the desire. This year if it were not for Montana Bob I probably wouldn't have even gone. I could care less about shooting a big buck, and plan on whacking a WT doe with my ES tag just for meat. I have zero desire to hunt elk as I find the effort more then the reward. I don't really know whats going on as I have hunted since I was chasing sparrows with my BB gun. This weekend I pretty much just stayed home even though elk season is in full swing. I just can't get interested and I have been thinking about a different hobby. With all the closures and limited access, hunting competition, focus on trophies, and leasing comming here to Montana, I am thinking of just hanging it all up. I am not having fun anymore, it's time to put away the hunting gear and find a new sport. I went antelope hunting and encountered bad weather. After the storm cleared I got within range of a decent buck, but the long drag back to the 4 wheeler deemed the shot impractacle. Five years ago I would have been thrilled, and the drag not even considered. I would rather be unsuccessful in solitude, than shoot a trophy in high pressure. I didn't come to Montana to run into hunters around every corner.[&o] The desire is just gone, and I don't even know what to do with myself.
I've been feeling much the same way. I hunt for work and by the time hunting season rolls around I don't really want to face the people, especially the ignorant redneck slob hunters. So, I sequester myself on the edges of the wilderness where there are very few people, and few elk, and the pack is more than most people can handle.

Then when you think about the thousands of dollars you've spent, and the hours of work for about $250 worth of meat. When you could just buy a half a beef for $300 cut and wrapped. I guess since I've already shot two bulls over 320, I've maybe lost a little fire.

I don't know, I still love to go but even though I'm young I already know that "things aren't how they used to be".

I'm lucky though I can do it at work....which is fun.