HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Great Weekend
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 04:18 PM
atlasman

Default Great Weekend

Took a ride to my brother's place a couple hours east of here to get away for the weekend. The weather could have been better but we certainly made the best out of what we had to work with.

My brother shot a 7 pointer after being in his stand for only a few minutes on Sat morning. He came to get me at about 9:00 am because he is color blind and tracking is almost impossible for him. He also tells me that the shot could have been better.........but when I get the details it sounds like a good shot with penetration being the only concern. He did a GREAT job of knowing everything he could about what happened AFTER the shot. Within a minute or two I had found his arrow which was broken off and had good lung blood on it for about 7-8 inches. I handed it to my brother who I could see had the nervous "God, I hope we find him" look on his face and said "He's dead...........don't worry about it". Well, at 11:00 am we were still searching for just a 2nd drop of blood (I could only find 1) and my brother is getting more and more anxious. It starts to rain so I tell my brother that we should try to follow his trail by tracks and see if we can pick up blood further down the line. His tracks stuck out due to the kicked up dirt and leaves but after about 80 yards it looked like he could have gone one of two ways...........we split up and about a minute later my brother yelled out that he had him. What a relief. I never doubted we would find him, I just didn't know how hard we would have to work. That deer literally laid down NO blood until 10 yards before he died. Good shot from a high angle with no pass through (G5 lodged in opposite shoulder). Nice buck and my brother is thrilled. He was pretty shakey with the bow just a couple years ago and has come a LONG way. He is a good shot now and much more calm around trigger time. His new Trykon has taken a nice doe and this buck for a pretty good first year.

Today we went for a morning goose hunt and had a great time. We met some new guys and it was just a fun day in the field doing what we love. I even managed to crack a Canadian goose..........my first.

Good times, good people, and good hunting.

Here are some pics.