HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - He Broke Two of my Arrows. (pics)
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Rob/PA Bowyer
Boone & Crockett

Default He Broke Two of my Arrows. (pics)

If you've been following my team thread you've had my season up to this day.

Well I had a little ground shrinkage. But I am mighty proud of this bad boy. I had been seeing bucks and button bucks but no does, I hadn't seen a doe in more than 2 weeks, some nights not seeing a deer and others I could rely on my little button buck buddy as I like to call him. He's usually out in my food plot on a regular bases. I've also started questioning my ability to pic a stand. A week ago Monday I sat in the food plot stand and I saw a big 8 point standing 20 yards from my Pin Oak stand 200 yards away. I called to him but he was content on doing what he was doing and going where he wanted to go. So, Tuesday evening after work I snuck in to my Pin Oak stand and I didn't even have my bow up when I looked over my shoulder in the CRP field only to see him moving through it. I quickly pulled up the bow and then my pack and got the calls out, he was in the woods, I called, he decided to go about his evening.

Wednesday evening i was in the Pin Oak stand and watched him come out in the middle of the CRP field and head to the food plot. I had a better chance to glass him as this was the closest I've been to him and I decided I'd shoot him the last day so I better shoot him tonight if I get a chance. Well he headed to the food plot and then a larger bodied, heavy horned buck came out, they postured and then thrashed one another, great evening to say the least. The thing is, the stood side by side 10 yards from my food plot stand.

The hunting was slow and Monday night I was in the food plot stand. A 2.5, big 5 point came out next to my Pin Oak stand and made his way down to me but I couldn't shoot him at this point. I decided I wouldn't take him the last day so I won't tonight. I let him walk by at 30 yards. Last night I thought I'd hunt the food plot stand but somehow I found myself in the Pin Oak stand, I saw nothing other than a 3 red fox pups pouncing on one another under my stand at last light.

Tonight I again picked the wrong stand. I'm good at that this year. I'd recommend anyone hunting with me to ask me what stand I want and be glad your in the other stand because that will be where the deer will be. I decided to hunt the Pin Oak stand, 200 yards down from the food plot. I hadn't see anything all night so I decided to do a little calling. It wasn't long when I spotted movement down at the food plot stand, a buck stepped out under the stand, not 3 yards from the tree I should have been in and proceeded to make a scrape. He then stepped out and started nibbling on the lush green clovers I had fun planting this year.

I pulled out the River Valley Deer Flute and gave him a couple grunts followed up with a contact bleat call. He walked to the nearest shrub and thrashed it, turned and came toward me to another shrub they had visited before, chewed the licking branch and urinated on his tarsal. I caught it all on film. I then contact called again and he was on his way. I put the camera down and picked up the bow. He was coming down the trail I had mowed through the CRP field so I could get my truck through it. He came part way, stood about 100 yards out and stopped, a soft bleat and he was on the move again. He hit the field access road that runs by the stand at 19 yards but he was out at 40 yards. I figured if he crossed the road he'd hit my scent and he stopped shortly, thank goodness for scent control. He passed over my trail and entered the CRP field. Just the other day the landowner read my mind and mowed trails through it. I quickly ranged the trails one being 33 yards, the other 23 yards. Of course the buck choose the 33 yard trail.

I was trying to calm my nerves as I put my release on the string loop. I was shaking so bad that I triggered the release when I tried to move my finger around it to draw. I quickly had it back on and looked up, the buck stopped dead broadside. I drew, put my 30 yard pin just above his heart. I felt the bow jump forward and my release arm fly back, almost unknowingly the way it should be. I heard the arrow thump in and was shocked when he hit the ground. He was thrashing and I quickly turned and grabbed another arrow from my quiver hanging just over my shoulder. He was on his side and I drew, settled my 30 yard pin between his front legs at his heart and released. I heard the thud and in seconds a gurgle and a still animal. I started shaking again as I packed up my gear, lowered the bow, pack and started down the tree. No need to wait to trail this buck, no need to heed my own rules and wait, wait..........wait. lol

Oh, I told myself I wouldn't pass him the the last day, he presented me a shot and I took it. My wife told me to mount it, I'm tossed. I have a lot of log wall that could use another mount. He's not my best to date but what a wonderful hunt and a memory for a lifetime.
[align=right] [/align]