HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Still Hunting questions
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2002, 09:23 AM
SugarMtn

Default RE: Still Hunting questions

It took me many years to get it figured out, and I am still learning. I like to hunt from the ground. I get bored waiting in ambush in a deer stand. I still use them, but hunt from the ground and still hunt a large percentage of the time. What is your pace like? I have learned it needs to be painfully slow. I move only a few yards. Stop behind some cover like a tree or whatever, and scan the area with binoculars. I don't move for 10 or so minutes, just slowly look around. A camo net cover for your face is helpful, even if you are also wearing hunter orange. Your uncovered face shines like a flashlight. I have had deer look right at me and go about their business if wearing my netting. If not, they usually snort and run. Another item I suggest is the stalkers boot covers. They are felt like soft material that muffle your sound greatly while walking on crunchy leaves. Also, don't forget to clear the leaves from around a tree should you decide you've discovered a great place to watch from for a while. That way if a deer comes along and you must turn or adjust your position to get a shot, you won't make noise crunching leaves and twigs while moving. When I am clearing leaves in this manner, I blow my grunt call quietly to simulate a buck making a scrape. Has worked for me numerous times.