HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7 Alone
Thread: 7 Alone
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 08:04 AM
Guess

Default 7 Alone

I started out with the intent to bow hunt ,but realized I had lost my release.So I changed gears and decided to hog hunt instead.I've also been playing with a sound that will call hogs consistently provided of course you are in an area with hogs and they can hear you!
As I eased into the area where I had called in two big boars recently, I saw two coyotes crossing a creek,I lip squeaked to them and played with them a bit just for fun,since I was in pig mode.I heard hogs of in the distance fighting,I started making the sound and the thicket came alive with hogs,the first one to offer a shot was a 190 pound sow,I got my rifle up and put a 95 gr.AccuTip just below her ear,I quickly started making the sound again and another hog appeared all bowed up ready to fight,she stopped with a tree covering her ear so I shot her in the neck a little further back.I moved on to try and find another one,I kept making the sound as I walked and heard crashing, a hog was headed my way, I prepared for the shot as a big yellow hog rushed from the thicket I shot her just below the ear,immediately a good European looking hog followed ,she had that demon look on her face that only a hog can get I shot her just behind the ear.I realized that I only had one bullet left,but decided to try for one more So I blew my call a few more times a little louder and more aggressive,it sounded like a freight train was headed my way! A big red boar appeared popping his teeth ,hair raised and ready to fight ,I shot him in the ear! Now I'm thinking I better go back to the truck for more bullets before locating all my hogs so I can find them once the sun sets.I called Michelle as I walked and told her to bring the rack and game cart that I needed help,she loaded the kids and headed my way.
Gun loaded and headed back I thought, I'll try just one more time,I started blowing my call and waited.I then heard the same sound coming back at me only from younger sounding hogs ,the cliff above erupted with hogs pouring down the side of the hill I shot two on the fly hitting them through the shoulders,guess I need to practice my running head shots! I now realized I have several hours of work ahead of me ,but I had to see after all the shooting and racket,they kept coming every time I would blow the call more would come ,I've never seen anything like it,this is the second time I've had this happen and the third time I've tried the sound.
Michelle finally got there to help,all the hogs were 2-3 hundred yards from where I could drive the truck,the last hundred was straight up a steep hill about a 33 degree angle or more! Michelle has now set a two hog limit { yea right} ! we were beat!
The boar weighed 230 pounds and had decent cutters!
All this on a place I was told there are no hogs!
also I've thrown in a picture to show how you haul 7 hogs on an SUV.!