HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Puppy is busting birds...
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 06:37 AM
Mite
Typical Buck

Default RE: Puppy is busting birds...

Sounds like you are gonna have to stop playing tug-o-war with him. That's why he's fighting you for the bird. When he becomes larger, he won't be carrying the bird by it's neck. Then he'll start breaking bones and damaging the meat.

Shock collar should be very carefully used. You don't want the dog to become shy, especially birdshy. I started my dog on the collar at nine months but she was already conditioned with a bark collar so the transition was no problem. Even then and now, I'm very hesitant to use it. Just the weight around her neck is enough for her to be obediant. But the collar should be done very slowly. Slower than introducing the gun. BTW, I use it only for her safety, ie. come.

Start following a good program. I hear good things about NAVDA book for versatiles. Another is Bill Tarant/Delmar Smith. Even if you you don't follow one, it will give you a good insight into dog training. For me, I follow some of Delmar (when to introduce stuff andstakeout chainand prolly gonna do force fetch) and some of Paul Long (woah, heel, come)since that has worked for me before.

Also, I don't know how versatiles are trained but 'sit' its not recommended for other pointing dogs. Your dog is sitting on woah command because it's confused right now. Personally, I would concentrate on one command at a time. Then introduce a new command only when the dog knows the old one and introduce it slowly.