HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Am I being unfair??? (long story)
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Iowa Monsterbuck

Default RE: Am I being unfair??? (long story)

Sounds like they've pretty much covered it. You shouldn't have expected him to not shoot the deer and you really couldn't reasonably expect the same deer to offer you a shot several hundred yards away across a field. As long as he's using his own tag he did nothing anybody else wouldn't do.

I understand that you're new to hunting so I'll cut you some slack and just say that if you invite somebody to hunt with you then they have just as much right to shoot a deer as you do. Regardless who obtained permission to hunt the land you both made the hour and a half drive and you both sat on stand, you've both made the investment and deserve the chance to reap the rewards if given.

My suggestion to hopefully help you acheive your goal would be as follows:

Do some reading on scent control. It doesn't sound like you hunted the location enough to say that your friend saw deer and you didn't because you did something wrong but I think it's safe to say that scent control is one of the most important parts of bow hunting and as a rookie you probably aren't doing all you can or should.

Get yourself a stand of your own. One that you feel comfortable will support your weight. There are many out there rated above 300lbs. You can't always rely on the landowner to have stands set-up for you and if you do you don't really have any room to complain if they aren't sturdy enough or comfortable enough for you. Get your own and not only will those problems be solved but you'll be able to put your stand wherever you want.

Good luck, I hope you get that first deer under your belt this year. Just remember archery hunting requires patience and perseverence.