HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting from a Cliff (using a blind)
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 06:29 AM
GonePostalWV

Default Hunting from a Cliff (using a blind)

Due to a problem with a neighboring hunting club, I am needing to relocate my stand to a different location on our property. (2000 acres in Nicholas Co., WV).

I have been searching the property for a good spot, and I think I've found one, but would like others input concerning it.

On the border of our property we have an Oak flat that runs approx. 600 yards of the hilltop on one side of a creek. It is located about 500 yards uphill from the creek and main gravel road on the property.

Access to this oak flat is fairly limited. Select cutting of the woods has blocked the main trail in to 4 wheelers at a point about 500 yards away.

At the edge of the oak flat is a series of rock faces (cliffs), which are around 20 feet vertical, but with room to hunt from, and trees as a backdrop to prevent you from being skylined. I've found a particular rock face, easily accesible, that overlooks two tram roads that run directly below the rockface... approx 20yards, and 50 yards away each horizontally. My field of view is around 200 yards, east to west, both ways.

The timber company has come in and select cut below the face... making it an nice, open area... with woods below and above for the deer to lay up in. Plenty of browse along the tram roads... with limited mast in the lower woods, but much thicker on top, above me.

The kicker is.. to my immediate right, I overlook what I think of as a bambi superhighway <g>. Theres a deer trail that allows access to the oakflat from the lower part of the mountain (tram roads). If the deer veer to the right, they have to go around 600 yards to find an easy way to the top (acorns). It shows a ton of activity, but of course alot of it may be nocturnal.

My main question is, assuming that the rockface is safe (it looks to me like it would be), does this seem like a good place to setup? I think of it as being on Gods own treestand... but I have more room to maneuver, and can reset up along the face to different spots depending on wind, etc.

I plan to setup a small, portable blind(screen) to help shield me from below. Hope the explanation of the area makes sense...

What do you all think of the spot?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I plan to hunt it a few weekends leading in to rifle season thanksgiving week, but would appreciate any advice.