HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Summit Open Shot tree stands??
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 07:54 AM
Matt / PA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Summit Open Shot tree stands??

Tom,
The Summit Open Shot is a great bowhunting stand. I had the first incarnation of it years ago when it was the first "Bushmaster" (but mine was steel)
The Open shot is nice and light and packs great. They're a little tougher to climb with obviously than a stand up sit down style but if you have decenet upper body strength you should be ok. You don't pull yourself up with your arms you more just hang on with your hands and forearms and pull your legs up.
The great thing about the Open Shot is the ability to shoot sitting down. Because it's more of a bench style seat than a sling style where your butt is below the frame it's very easy to shoot sitting down if you need to.

I'm, 6'3" and 260 and I would have no problems using an Open Shot myself, (it might feel a little cramped but using it is no problem).
The other thing to consider is the platform size, the entire stand is "compact" and the platform is going to be shorter up front than your Viper, I think by about 4". Pretty sure there is less butt room as well across the seat.
Keep that in mind at 6'6".
At your size you might be better off to consider the Razor........you can stand up and sit down climb but you'll have the option to get the bar completely out of your way for bowhunting ,and you'll have the full sized platform.
Another option would be to simply buy the Open Shot seat section and use it in conjunction with your Viper Platform and you'd have the best of both worlds?