HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2006 Michigan Youth Hunt
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 09:52 PM
jci63
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2006 Michigan Youth Hunt

09-23-2006, 02:10 PM
This morning at 7:30 a.m. Brittany harvested a 6 point buck. Pictures to come at a later date.
Thank you to all the sponsors who made this hunt a success!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________
(From, Brittneys dad)

Well first of all I would like to thank John for a great time! He is a great guide and a very caring person. My daughter had a great time as well. John was a heck of a guide and even took us fishing, letting Brittney land about 15- 20 salmons. Best of all was the preparation, scouting and the time he took to help guide her in taking down a nice 6pt buck. The look on her face after shooting that buck was out of this world.

I must be honest here..... I was skeptical about taking Brittney on this trip as I myself wondered, "why would these guys do this for these kids." I thought that there had to be a catch, so I asked John and Ernie from Day in the Swamp, why, why would you do this for these kids? They pointed out about how the sport is dying and how they want to pass the sport on to the next generation. They also pointed out how there are so many young kids that are sitting and wasting their lives playing video games because they never had the opportunity to go hunting. Ernie also explained as he held back tears, about how his father taught him to hunt and how he would like to give the same gift to others. He worded it best when he told a story of a Grandfather and grandson that he took on a hunt. He said after the young boy harvested a deer, the grandfathers head swelled with pride and the grandfather cried tears of joy. Ernie said at that point his own wife looked at him and whispered, " now I think I understand why you do this."

Well I can tell you that these guys have two of the biggest hearts I have ever seen. These two guys put the word sport in sportsman! These guys care about this sport and go out of their way to pass the hunting tradition on to the next generation. I am overwhelmed in knowing that there are guys out there that take this much pride in this sport!

While watching John fish, I noticed that most of the kids at the fishing hole knew and respected him. I also noticed that out of all the people fishing, John and the kids that knew him were about the only ones catching fish. My guess is that he probably taught most of them how to do it. I also noticed that most of the kids would release the fish, "above the dam"..to help the salmons trip upsteam easier...just as John would.
John, I have always taking all my girls hunting and fishing with me, but you my friend showed me a whole other side of hunting in a way that I never seen it before.......You have showed me that its not all about me...its about them!
God Bless!

Pics will be posted soon and maybe the video of the hunt! Thanks again!

Youth Hunter with proud father!