HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - English Setter or German Shorthair?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 12:39 PM
MA Jay

Default RE: English Setter or German Shorthair?

Monie-

I honestly don't think you could go wrong with well bred dogs of either breed. I have owned quite a few GSP and all of them were first rate bird dogs. Most were also very good family dogs. I have never owned a Setter but will soon, as they hold a certain allure for me. I have hunted with some real good Setters.

Some real "general" thoughts to consider between the dogs based purely on my own experience.

GSP's, at least all of mine, really benefited from a committed exercise program. If you don't care to allow/take a dog to run, and run hard, every day or at the least every other day than a good GSP may appear "hyper" for want of exercise. I have found Setters to be ok with a slightly less intensive exercise regiment than GSP.

Hair... GSP's are so easy to keep clean, Setter's require real work and effort. You will spend at least 30 to 45 minutes after a hunt cleaning that Setter's coat. GSP's almost never burr up.

Setter's typically, and this is a HUGE generality, are slightly more affectionate family members than GSP's. I have owned some real loveyGSP's, but they all were not that way. The best seemed to consider themselves close buddies/companions. I know some Setters who think they are children, and seem to tend to be more sensitive. Like I said, generally speaking! It always depends on the dog.

They both can flat out huunt if they come from great lines.

I highly recommend seeing breeders of both types of dogs and seeing which ones you "connect" with best.

I hope you get one of these 2 breeds, they are my favorite 2 pointing breeds.