HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Latest overrated fad?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 03:41 PM
BowHntrRick
Spike

Default RE: Latest overrated fad?

With respect to the comments on my initial post, note that I did not suggest the things that I mentioned were worthless; only that they may be overrated and, in some cases, (carbon clothing is a case in point: I fully expect that something with more lasting effectiveness will replace them), a fad. On the other hand, I have found the thoughtful responses instructive and, in some cases, changed my opinion.

Rangefinder: It is clear that at least some hunters consider this a necessity. While $200 or more seems a great deal of money to judge 0-30 yards, I may feel differently if I misjudge and miss (or worse, wound) an animal.

Parallel limb bow: I did not say that this design was useless; only that it may be overrated. How can I say this without ever shooting a parallel limb bow? Because I honestly don't consider the "hand shock" or "draw smoothness" of my 02 Hoyt to be a significant problem. I may well opt for a parallel limb bow when the time comes to replace the one I have now and I expect that I will enjoy the improved performance. I am only suggesting that the difference cannot be so dramatic that I must have one NOW when these factors are not that significant on my present bow.

Besides, plenty of people purchase new Reflex Highlandersfor roughly half the price of a parallel limb bow and are entirely satisfied with theolder design.

Ground blinds: Clearly there are some situations that are suitable for ground blinds (as I indicated in my first post). However, I suggest that the "fad" aspect of ground blinds are the number of manufacturers with the varieties offered. Most hunters are unlikely to own three or more ground blinds like they often own multiple tree stands: once most of the hunters have purchased one ground blind to use on those occasions that call for it, the market will be satisfied and the available selection will decrease to a handful of choices.

Further, I predict that for most ground blind users the novelty will wear off andthey will go back to predominantly tree stands and natural blinds unless there is some special circumstance that prevents them from doing so.

Still, I am always willing to learn. Favor me with your wisdom and I will benefit from it.