HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - YOUR 2006 HUNTING TRIP
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: YOUR 2006 HUNTING TRIP

I'm going on my first elk hunt in mid-October. I have a first rifle season, either sex elk permit forunit 75. This unit is in SW Colorado, NW of Durango, Colorado. I plan to backpack up into the Weminuche Wilderness area. This is a solo hunt. I have discussed my specific hunting plans -- how and where to hunt -- with others who have hunted in my area and who substantially validated my plans. I did a brief overnight trip into my area during a family vacation to Durango in July and have specific areas I want to hunt. I will use a .30-06 for this hunt using 180 grain bullets. I know the success rate is generally low for elk hunters, and probably lower still for first time, solo, backpack hunters. I have done my homework and physical conditioning, however, and have hopes of success. Worst case I will get to spend 5 day in beautiful country and learn a lot about elk hunting which I do not yet know. I amNOT a trophy hunter (my hunt success is not about getting the biggest antlers or even getting antlers at all). If I see a small herd of cows with no bull, I'm expecting to take the best cow in the group -- even if this is the first hour of opening day.

I'm really excited.