HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - is the craze about shooting big deer ruining hunting?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:00 PM
chiefks

Default RE: is the craze about shooting big deer ruining hunting?

I don't think it has ruining hunting at all. As long as it is a fair chase (fair chase being the key words here)hunt, then it is merely a personal choice as to what a hunter decides to shoot or let walk. A person who is new to hunting might shoot anything that walks by. If that makes them happy then so be it. There's not one thing wrong with that because those deer are every much as bit of a trophy as a big rack buck! In fact it might be more of a trophy! If a hunter has been hunting a while and decides to let the smaller racked, immature deer walk then so be it. If he wants to shoot a 200 inch deer and pass everything waiting for that, then we should wish him luck. If he suceed's we should be happy for him. I have made the decision that I don't have to shoot deer, if I want meat for the freezer then I will take does. Other wise I will only shoot mature bucks. I hunt from the ground and get a rush just from having deer close. I enjoy sitting in the woods with my back against a treewith peace and quiet, just being there and seeing what I see. That is sucess enough for me.