HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Confused about Resizing and Head Space
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 02:23 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Confused about Resizing and Head Space

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Ok so let me see if I can sumerize this,

New Brass should be full Length resized.
I sometimes do resize when buying a new bag, or just go and fireform it if its not too bad shape. But these days brass comes so banged up, with dented mouths and dented shoulders I go ahead and FS and then trim.

Once I fire a piece of brass in my rifle the brass has expanded to fit the chamber so I only need to resize enough of the case so that it only effects the shoulder and neck portion of the case. But your telling me that I should just full length size it anyway. Correct?
Starting out, FL may be easier and what I suggest for everyone. It confuses Newbies alot.A personjust starting can't make match ammo right off the bat. Need to learn the basics. And maybe your chamber matches your die pretty good anyway, I just am in a cycle of my relaoding where I like to simplify my life. FL sized brass extracts easily, and more what I call hunter friendly. Thats more important these days than making my groups go from 1.2MOA ot 1.0MOA. I have found that if your dies matches your chamber decently, the extra work Paritial FL sizing just ain't worth it.

How much would just sizing the neck area of the case (partial)on already fired brass add to its life?
Depends how much headspace you had in your rifle. If you rifle is really stretching out your cases,life is extended a whole lot, but other than that, it just works your case body and necks less. Usually yoru necks split or primers fall out before anything else and therefore kills the life of your case well before case body or rim rips off.

In general if I'm not going to full lenght size a shell after its first firing what is the maximum distance the die should be from the shell holder or is the 1/2 turn suggested by the book about it?
Depends on yoru gun chamber. Depends how much your pushing the shoulder back. If you have to go too much off the shell holder, then either die is out of spec or your chamber is out of spec with excessive headspace. See what the stony point or candle soot method tells you first. I know I was helping Mossyoak33 one day and he had to turn his die almost a whole turn if I remember to keep from bumping his shoulders back.

Last question,If I don't F/L resize the cases before each loading will I have to test my groups first with the unfired F/L resized brass and then with brass that has been fired and partially sized?
Very possible but depends on what level of accuracy your after. For hunting, it may open your groups up .5" or just the occasional flyer. Big deal. For serious target work, you don't want that.

thats the reason I went to either lee collet or FL sizing. I can count on my cases being repeatable and same dimentions every time. I may lost some accuracy but sure not enough to keep me up at night.