HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - have you noticed broadhead performance on all the new hunting videos
Old 07-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Antler Eater
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: have you noticed broadhead performance on all the new hunting videos

I have not seen any of their recent videos so I don't know what they are shooting as far as broadheads go. In the past I have seen them shoot some expandables, I think they were NAP Spitfires which aren't a two inch cut so perhaps they changed heads.

I have shot a number of deer with a mech that yielded a two inch cut. Most have been pass throughs with rigs producing anywhere from 65 to 70 pounds of Kinetic energy.

One of the deer that I didn't get a pass through with the big cutting headworried me greatly. It did not appear as if I got very much penetration as the buck ran away with the arrow sticking out of it's ribs. When I gotdown there was a tremendousblood trail to follow. About 90 yards later I found the buck expired arrow still in him. Autopsy showed only one lung was hit and no other vitals; but the hole was massive, the bleeding profuse.I had never seen a single lung deer brought down in such a manner before nor since.

I am still not sure why I got so little penetration in comparison to other times. There are so many variables in a hunting situation that are uncontrollable that a lot of the testing we do is irrelevant to what we are attempting to accomplish. But of course the information we gather from it is still valuable.

...Come to think of it what this whole post has to do with the Dury boys issueI know not. If it hadn't taken me so long to put all this down I wouldn't even post it....What an idiot...