HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do i kill a raccoon
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 04:25 AM
Tigerfan

Default RE: How do i kill a raccoon

Depends on what you want to do with them afterwards. My Dad had a coon one time at our camp on the Ouachita river that kept getting in the garbage and tearing it up. He no longer has coon problems anymore. This will also work with cats too so you have to be careful. This is what he did:

He got a battery charger, a 3" nail, 3 to 4 foot piece insulated wire, a BBQ grill grate, 2' 2x4 (optional), big fish hook like you would use worm fishing for bass and a piece of meat (chicken, steak, whatever).

Lay the grill grate on the ground and drive the nail into a wall or into the 2x4 (nail the 2x4 into a post or wall) to where the coon has to stand on the grate to get to it. Take the hook and solder it to the wire or fix the hook to the wire so that it will not come off. Wrap the wire around the nail so that the hook hangs directly over the grate and that it will stay on during contact with the coon. Put the meat on the hook. Connect the negative side of the battery charger to the grate and the positive side to the wire that is hanging with the hook.

What will happen is this. The coon will come up during the middle of the night and smell the food. He will stand on the grate and grab the meat with his mouth, this will hook him like a big ole fish, the positive (hook) will meet the negative (grate) and the conductor will be the coon and that will not be good for him.

You have to be careful also because this could cause a fire. Positive current and negative ground do not do well together with dc current. Have you ever hit the negative post on your battery when trying to tighten the positive post down, big ole spark. When Dad did it he heard it happen and when the coon stopped banging he unplugged the battery charger. Good luck.