HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My shooting sucks!
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:52 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My shooting sucks!

A few things that might help.....

Double check everything--brace height, glove/tab, nock point, etc. Possibly something is out of tune.

If you determine that it's actually you that's out of tune, do some form practice--CLOSE! Don't worry about accuracy--fully concentrate on form. Consistent grip, draw, anchor, release, follow-through. Stay close so you aren't having to worry about a missed target/lost arrow/punctured neighbor/etc. Finally, RELAX! I generally shoot my best when I'm most relaxed, and shoot my worst when I try to over-evaluate at the target. That's what form practice is for. Step up and LET it happen, don't try to MAKE it happen.

I don't think anyone that's spent any time behind a bow hasn't gone through a slump. Mine generally don't last more than a day or so anymore, but I did go through one that lasted about 6 months, accompanied with a (mild) case of target panic several years ago. If you are having a prolonged slump, it might help to put the bow down for a few days. Hard to do, but maybe your body and mind need a break.

Hang in there Jakes--you'll get it back.

Chad