HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - single shot
Thread: single shot
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 02:36 PM
dog1
Typical Buck

Default RE: single shot

st1,

I just did that very thing, went to a single shot gun for turkey hunting. When I started turkey hunting, I did so with a Stevens 20 (3 in. mag), with a hammer. Then I went to a Rem. 870 in20 ga., 3 in. mag and then to the pump 12's and then auto 12's. I missed the days of the single shot, so I started searching. I wanted a 12 ga., 3 in. mag. without a hammer. The only companies I could find to fit the bill, was a Browning that cost $1300.00 and a gun Remington is importing from Russia (go to Rem. web site and look up their Spartan shotguns, single shot).

This gun, SPR 100, marketed by Rem., retails for about $244.00 for the one's with ventilated rib. They don't havean exposed hammer. I read about them in Buckmasters mag. The article said they didn't have the finish of an American made gun, but the structure was great.

I looked up every place that sold them (on rem. web site) within 60 miles of my home. I called all of them and none had them in stock but would order the gun. I found one store that not only sold them, but had a gunsmith on hand daily. Walmart also sells the cheaper version, which is not ventilated and is blued for $89.00.

I called them (the gun shop) and got them to order the SPR 100 single shot for me, just under $200.00. I had the gunsmith cut the barrel (it comes with a 29 1/2 inch barrel) to 23 1/2 inches and thread the barrel for Winchoke choke tubes. I went with Winchoke threading because most of my guns with replaceable tubes are Winchester. I had them drill and tap for scope and install a scope rail. Had them install studs and swivels for a sling, and also had them install Sims Limb saver recoil pad. Had the trigger pull lightened to 4 lbs. All this work cost $237.00.

I then ordered a Nikon Monarch (shotgun) scope, I believe it's called turkey pro, which was recommended by JW, who is on this web site quite often. I also ordered Weaver rings, both the scope and rings came from Cabelas'. The cost for the scope was $239.00 and the rings $19.99.

I already had a Mad (ventilated) choke tube on my Win. 1300. Counting the choke tube and all of the above, I've got about $750.00 in the gun. But let me tell you a fewthings, it has a crossbolt safety (no exposed hammer), weighs about 6 1/2 lbs with the scope, kicks like a five legged mule, but you don't notice it with the Limb saver recoil pad. At forty yards and #5 Win. turkey loads, it will tear a turkey's head up (using life size targets). I haven't tried it further than 40, but plan to do so soon and with some #4's and 5's.

I can tell you now, had I put the same scope and rings on my 1300 plus recoil pad, I would have had about the same money in the pump. I also could have saved money other ways, but this gun has got my attention, it is performing great at 40 yds, can't wait to see what it will do at 50.

If you will send me your email address, I'll send you a photo of my finished gun. Also go to Rem. web site and look at it.

dog1